Aegis Therapies Home | Aegis Employee Login | Contact Us | Sitemap
> Expert Thinking > Helpful Resources > Summer Safety Tips
Stay Cool When It's Hot: Safety Tips for Summer
Summer is here, and with it comes days filled with bright sun
and hot temperatures. It's a great time for relaxing with family
and friends, enjoying outdoor activities and catching up on chores
around the house.
As you venture outside during the warm days ahead, be sure
you’re taking steps to stay cool when the sun and temperatures are
high. Keep these summer-safe tips in mind and share them with loved
ones and neighbors.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid caffeinated, sugary
- Wear sunscreen any time you’re outside.
- Wear light-colored and lightweight fabrics – think cotton.
- Hats are a great way to shield your eyes and head from the
- Be kind to eyes by wearing sunglasses – make sure they are
coded for UV and UVB sunlight. And don’t forget kids – their eyes
need protection too!
- If you’re working or playing outside,
be sure to take breaks to cool off – try to do activities in shady
- Avoid being outside during the
hottest time of the day, which surprisingly isn’t always midday.
Late afternoon is usually when the highest temperatures of the day
- Don’t forget your four-legged friends! Make sure your pets have
plenty of water throughout the day and access to a shady,
well-ventilated area away from the sun.
More on Staying Hydrated...
During the heat of summer, it is important to monitor your water
intake and increase it when necessary. By staying properly
hydrated, you’ll not only beat the heat – you’ll keep your body
healthy and happy!
Drink before activity.
Staying hydrated before you exercise is just as important as
staying hydrated while you're exercising.
Reduce the caffeine.
Caffeine acts as a diuretic and causes the body to lose water.
It's recommended that adults drink between 6-8 glasses of water
Take a big gulp.
One adult-size gulp of fluid equals about one ounce of