February 5, 2024
Living a healthy lifestyle is important, especially for seniors, and having a safe and secure living environment is crucial for their overall well-being. At Aegis Therapies, we recognize the significance of providing a safe and healthy environment for older adults. Here are some valuable tips for indoor and outdoor safety measures to consider. Creating a secure home environment is an essential step in promoting healthy living.
- Get rid of harmful household chemicals. Did you know that many standard household cleaning products contain toxic chemicals? To prioritize your health and the environment, consider swapping these out for eco-friendly, gentler alternatives.
- Protection against seasonal allergies. Seniors with allergies may need to limit outdoor activities, which can lead to lower vitamin D levels. On high-pollen or windy days, opt for indoor activities. On low-pollen days, spend time outdoors and take precautions like brushing off clothes and removing shoes to prevent pollen from entering your home.
- Protection from excessive sunlight. Sunlight is essential, but too much exposure can be harmful, especially for seniors. Protect yourself by using sunscreen, wearing protective clothing and staying hydrated. Enjoy the benefits of sunlight while taking care of your well-being.
- Bundle up. Dress appropriately with layers during extreme cold and keep your home and car heated. For older loved ones, provide cozy blankets and hot beverages and check that their living space is at least 68°F.
- Breathe easily by enhancing indoor quality. Indoor air pollution harms everyone, particularly older adults who spend most of their time indoors. To create a healthier living environment, use high-quality air filters and prohibit smoking indoors. Place the filters strategically for maximum effectiveness.
- Secure your home. As we age, it’s important to ensure that our homes are free of hazards that could cause falls. Installing an alarm system can help alert someone in case of a fall and create a safer living environment.
Incorporating these simple yet effective measures into your daily routine can help create a safe and peaceful home sanctuary.