About Peripheral Neuropathy (PN) and Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy (DPN)What Is It?
According to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, peripheral neuropathy (PN) is a condition that develops due to damage to the peripheral nervous system. Think of this system as the communication pathway between your brain and spinal cord to every body part down to your hands and feet. Symptoms of PN can include:
- Numbness in finger tips, legs or feet
- Inability to feel the position of your foot
- Decreased ability to feel pain or temperature changes
- Limb weakness with tingling and burning sensations
- Progressive loss of balance and coordination
- Incontinence or loss of bladder control
There are multiple causes and over 100 types of PN with an estimated impact on 20 million Americans in some form or limitation.What You Can Expect
At Aegis Therapies, we work with your team of physicians as they identify the cause of your symptoms and confirm the diagnosis. As your medical treatment is established, we are able to address underlying impairments that are related to PN and establish the best treatment plan for your needs to reduce the symptoms, restore losses and enable you with skills to continue to live a productive, safe life.